Saturday 12 December 2020

#249 | MY STRUGGLES WITH OUR NEW PUPPY


SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

A got a call from my partner on the afternoon of 2 Dec, telling me to come over to his place. As I walk through the door to his apartment, I was greeted by something unexpected, a puppy. This is Indie. She is a Kelpie x Coolie, born on 11 September 2020 and picked up on 2 December 2020. Indi was almost 3 months old in these photos. I've never had a dog or cat, or any sort of pet growing up. The Boy did, he had many, and one of his favourites was a dog named Mack, who apparently looks just like Indi. We've spoken about having a dog once we moved to a house (which should be around early 2021), but he was too impatient. She's my Christmas present, he said. But we both know, it was actually for him. I wasn't  prepared to look after a puppy. I had no idea what to do, and had no time to learn until after the fact. It's been a little over a week since she came into our lives, and it's been hard on me. I've been feeling overwhelmed by the amount of attention she needs, the whimpering, the nipping, the early mornings, the multiple daily walks and all the cleaning up required while she's still being toilet trained. I'm also not use to the smell of a dog, so even that has been an adjustment. My google searches have only been about puppies, puppy training, puppy toys and investigations into every single behaviour she's shown. The partner takes care of her for most of the day, but I'm in charge in the mornings while he's at UFC training, which is between the hours of 3.30am and 8am. Again, it's only been a little over a week, but I am exhausted; physically and mentally. I know things will get much better as soon as Indi gets use to her new home, but I'm really hoping it will happen much sooner than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment