Sunday 24 January 2021

#255 | CANTONESE FOOD AT MR. WONG


SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Char Siew Roasted Glacier 51 Tooth Fish
Sweet and Sour Crispy Pork Hock
Pork and Prawn Sui Mai
Lobster and Scallop Dumplings
Kind Crab Fried Rice
Prawn and Crispy Dough Rice Roll

Mr. Wong is one of those top restaurants in Sydney that constantly gets rave reviews. When I had a $20 discount to use at a Merivale restaurant, I thought it's finally time to try this place out for myself. Starting with some dim sims, we had some pork and prawn sui mai, lobster and scallop dumplings and the prawn and crispy dough rice roll, also known as 'cheung fun'. This was the first time I had the rice roll with fried dough in it, and was surprised by how tasty it was and how much I enjoyed it. I was afraid the dough would be soggy, but it wasn't at all. For mains we had tooth fish roasted in char siew sauce, sweet and sour pork crispy hock and the king crab fried rice. The tooth fish was my least favourite in our selection, only because I didn't enjoy the char siew taste with fish. I found it to be an odd combination. The pork hock came out different to my expectations. I had thought this dish would be like the usual sweet and sour pork you get at Chinese/Cantonese restaurants and takeaway stores, but it was completely different. It was like braised pork with a nice crispy outer layer, coated in a sweet and sticky glaze. It was nice, very yummy. The fried rice was good too, a happy way to end our meal. 

Mr. Wong
3 Bridge Lane
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment