Sunday 21 May 2017

#102 | REQUIRED VIEWING: KOE NO KATACHI


SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

I was first introduced to the world of Japanese animation in high school. My friend gave me a CD (yes, a CD), with an anime called Aishiteruze Baby on it, and from there I've watched series after series all throughout high school to the earlier years of university. I don't watch as much now, but I still enjoy it occasionally. Last night, I stumbled upon a movie called Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) and was blown away by the beautiful animation and powerful story telling of friendship, school bullying, and the journey towards redemption.

The story centres around two main characters, Nishimiya Shoko, a young, deaf school girl, and Ishida Shouya, a classmate who bullies her because of her disability. Shoko ends up transferring to another school, and Shouya becomes ostracised by his circle of friends. They meet each other again in high school and over a series of events, helped each other overcome their loneliness. What I love most about this movie is how real and relatable it is. I'm comparing it to a netflix series I recently finished called 13 Reasons Why. Both shows explored themes of bullying and suicide, but 13 Reasons Why seems to have adopted the blame game approach. The protagonist basically finger-pointed and blamed everyone else for everything that was wrong. This is not to say that she deserved everything that happened to her, but the lack of responsibility and sensibility in her character had seriously frustrated me. Also, how many people can actually relate to the excessive partying, drugs and sex in a high school environment? Perhaps this is more common in American schools. The bullying in Koe no Katachi was because of a disability. Shoko was bullied by the kids who couldn't see past the difference, and who couldn't adjust to it. A much more real scenario in any context, in my humble opinion. 

Long story short, go and watch Koe no Katachi if you haven't already. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think that for a story that touches on such a sensitive topic, it has been beautifully told.

No comments:

Post a Comment